Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Graphic Design II - Module 9, Poster Design - Part 2

PART I

For this exercise, I picked Stanley Kubrick’s “A Clockwork Orange” poster. Here is my essay on the typographic elements and analysis of the poster:

Symbols: Man with a knife and a cabaret hat holding a knife wearing eye liner popping out of letter “A”

Colors: Flesh tones, Black and White silhouette on a stark white background

Fonts / Typography: Modified font memorable and specific to this movie, “A” and “Clockwork Orange” is separated by “Stanley Kubrick’s” name, Negative Black space of “A” becomes positive space, balanced text describing the movie with the knife on the other side, Angle of knife matches angle of letter “A”

Images: Man’s hand and knife busting out of letter “A”, foreshortening

Feelings: Violence, Mysterious, Sinister, Disturbing



PART II

Using the principles from the poster above, I tried to incorporate a photograph (that I downloaded from the play), copy, and bat-like graphics (shown in black) that I brought from Module 8. The photograph was such a strong image that I decided to use it in my composition. The black image of the bat wraps around the boy’s head making it positive in some parts and negative in the other. The dark space also gave me the opportunity to include a description of the play. I also used filters in Photoshop to give it that aged and posterized look.


No comments: